Qualys Vulnerability R&D Lab has released new vulnerability checks in the Qualys Cloud Platform to protect organizations against 2 vulnerabilities that were fixed in 2 bulletins announced today by Microsoft. Customers can immediately audit their networks for these and other new vulnerabilities by accessing their Qualys subscription. Visit Qualys Security Blog to prioritize remediation.
Microsoft has released 2 security bulletins to fix newly discovered flaws in their software. Qualys has released the following checks for these new vulnerabilities:
A reflected XSS vulnerability exists in Visual Studio Team Foundation Server.
Microsoft has released a security update that addresses the vulnerabilities by correcting how the Team Foundation Server site validates input parameters.
This security update is rated Important for all supported editions of Microsoft Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010.
Refer to Microsoft Security Bulletin MS12-061 for further details.
Enable Internet Explorer 8 and Internet Explorer 9 XSS filter in the Local intranet security zone.
A cross-site scripting vulnerability exists in System Center Configuration Manager where code can be injected back to the user in the resulting page, effectively allowing attacker-controlled code to run in the context of the user clicking the link. This vulnerability is caused when System Center Configuration Manager improperly handles specially crafted requests that allow an attacker to gain access to System Center Configuration Manager and carry out the same actions as an authenticated user. (CVE-2012-2536)
Microsoft Systems Management Server 2003 Service Pack 3
Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007 Service Pack 2
- Enable Internet Explorer 8 and Internet Explorer 9 XSS filter in the Local intranet security zone.
- You can help protect against exploitation of this vulnerability by changing your settings to enable the XSS filter in the Local intranet security zone. (XSS filter is enabled by default in the Internet security zone.) To do this, perform the following steps:
- In Internet Explorer 8 or Internet Explorer 9, click Internet Options on the Tools menu.
- Click the Security tab.
- Click Local intranet, and then click Custom level.
- Under Settings, in the Scripting section, under Enable XSS filter, click Enable, and then click OK.
- Click OK two times to return to Internet Explorer.
- Impact of workaround: Internal sites not previously flagged as being XSS risks could be flagged.
These new vulnerability checks are included in Qualys vulnerability signature 2.2.220-3. Each Qualys account is automatically updated with the latest vulnerability signatures as they become available. To view the vulnerability signature version in your account, from the Qualys Help menu, select the About tab.
To perform a selective vulnerability scan, configure a scan profile to use the following options:
In addition, prior to running a scan for these new vulnerabilities, you can estimate your exposure to these new threats by running the Risk Analysis Report, available from the Qualys Vulnerability Management Reports tab.
For more information, customers may contact Qualys Technical Support.
The Qualys Cloud Platform and its integrated suite of security and compliance applications provides organizations of all sizes with a global view of their security and compliance solutions, while drastically reducing their total cost of ownership. Qualys solutions include: continuous monitoring, vulnerability management, policy compliance, PCI compliance, security assessment questionnaire, web application scanning, web application firewall, malware detection and SECURE Seal for security testing of web sites.