Apple Security Bulletin: October 11
Qualys® Vulnerability R&D Lab has released new vulnerability checks in the Qualys Cloud Platform to protect organizations against 79 vulnerabilities that were fixed in 1 bulletins announced today by Apple. Customers can immediately audit their networks for these and other new vulnerabilities by accessing their Qualys subscription. Visit our blog to see how to prioritize remediation.
Apple has released 1 security bulletins to fix newly discovered flaws in their software. Qualys has released the following checks for these new vulnerabilities:
Apple iTunes Prior to 10.5 Multiple Vulnerabilities (APPLE-SA-2011-10-11-1)
- Urgent 5
- Qualys ID
- Vendor Reference
- CVE Reference
- CVE-2010-1823, CVE-2011-0164, CVE-2011-0200, CVE-2011-0204, CVE-2011-0215, CVE-2011-0218, CVE-2011-0221, CVE-2011-0222, CVE-2011-0223, CVE-2011-0225, CVE-2011-0232, CVE-2011-0233, CVE-2011-0234, CVE-2011-0235, CVE-2011-0237, CVE-2011-0238, CVE-2011-0240, CVE-2011-0253, CVE-2011-0254, CVE-2011-0255, CVE-2011-0259, CVE-2011-0981, CVE-2011-0983, CVE-2011-1109, CVE-2011-1114, CVE-2011-1115, CVE-2011-1117, CVE-2011-1121, CVE-2011-1188, CVE-2011-1203, CVE-2011-1204, CVE-2011-1288, CVE-2011-1293, CVE-2011-1296, CVE-2011-1440, CVE-2011-1449, CVE-2011-1451, CVE-2011-1453, CVE-2011-1457, CVE-2011-1462, CVE-2011-1774, CVE-2011-1797, CVE-2011-2338, CVE-2011-2339, CVE-2011-2341, CVE-2011-2351, CVE-2011-2352, CVE-2011-2354, CVE-2011-2356, CVE-2011-2359, CVE-2011-2788, CVE-2011-2790, CVE-2011-2792, CVE-2011-2797, CVE-2011-2799, CVE-2011-2809, CVE-2011-2811, CVE-2011-2813, CVE-2011-2814, CVE-2011-2815, CVE-2011-2816, CVE-2011-2817, CVE-2011-2818, CVE-2011-2820, CVE-2011-2823, CVE-2011-2827, CVE-2011-2831, CVE-2011-3219, CVE-2011-3232, CVE-2011-3233, CVE-2011-3234, CVE-2011-3235, CVE-2011-3236, CVE-2011-3237, CVE-2011-3238, CVE-2011-3239, CVE-2011-3241, CVE-2011-3244, CVE-2011-3252
- CVSS Scores
- Base 10 / Temporal 7.8
Apple iTunes is a digital media player application for Mac OS and Windows.
iTunes components CoreFoundation, ColorSync, CoreAudio, CoreMedia, ImageIO and WebKit are vulnerable to multiple issues ranging from buffer overflow to memory corruption.
- Successfully exploiting these vulnerabilities might allow an attacker to execute arbitrary code. Other attacks are also possible.
Apple iTunes 10.5 has been released to address these issues. The update can be downloaded and installed via Apple Downloads.
Refer to Apple Security Update APPLE-SA-2011-10-11-1 for more information on the vulnerabilities and patching your system.
The following are links for downloading patches to fix these vulnerabilities:
APPLE-SA-2011-10-11-1 iTunes for Windows
These new vulnerability checks are included in Qualys vulnerability signature 1.28.241-4. Each Qualys account is automatically updated with the latest vulnerability signatures as they become available. To view the vulnerability signature version in your account, from the Qualys Help menu, select the About tab.
Selective Scan Instructions Using Qualys
To perform a selective vulnerability scan, configure a scan profile to use the following options:
- Ensure access to TCP ports 135 and 139 are available.
- Enable Windows Authentication (specify Authentication Records).
Enable the following Qualys IDs:
- If you would like the scan to return the Windows Hostname, also include QID 82044 and ensure access to UDP port 137 is available.
- If you would like to be notified if Qualys is unable to log on to a host (if Authentication fails), also include QID 105015.
In addition, prior to running a scan for these new vulnerabilities, you can estimate your exposure to these new threats by running the Risk Analysis Report, available from the Qualys Vulnerability Management Reports tab.
Access for Qualys Customers
For more information, customers may contact Qualys Technical Support.
The Qualys Cloud Platform and its integrated suite of security and compliance applications provides organizations of all sizes with a global view of their security and compliance solutions, while drastically reducing their total cost of ownership. Qualys solutions include: continuous monitoring, vulnerability management, policy compliance, PCI compliance, security assessment questionnaire, web application scanning, web application firewall, malware detection and SECURE Seal for security testing of web sites.