Adobe Security Bulletin: September 13
Qualys® Vulnerability R&D Lab has released new vulnerability checks in the Qualys Cloud Platform to protect organizations against 14 vulnerabilities that were fixed in 1 bulletins announced today by Adobe. Customers can immediately audit their networks for these and other new vulnerabilities by accessing their Qualys subscription. Visit our blog to see how to prioritize remediation.
Adobe has released 1 security bulletins to fix newly discovered flaws in their software. Qualys has released the following checks for these new vulnerabilities:
Adobe Reader and Acrobat Remote Code Execution Vulnerabilities (APSB11-24)
- Urgent 5
- Qualys ID
- Vendor Reference
- CVE Reference
- CVE-2011-1353, CVE-2011-2431, CVE-2011-2432, CVE-2011-2433, CVE-2011-2434, CVE-2011-2435, CVE-2011-2436, CVE-2011-2437, CVE-2011-2438, CVE-2011-2439, CVE-2011-2440, CVE-2011-2441, CVE-2011-2442, CVE-2011-4374
- CVSS Scores
- Base 9.3 / Temporal 6.9
Adobe Acrobat and Reader are applications for handling PDF files.
Adobe Acrobat and Reader are prone to the following vulnerabilities:
- A local privilege-escalation (Adobe Reader X (10.x) on Windows only) (CVE-2011-1353).
- A security bypass vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2011-2431).
- A buffer overflow vulnerability in the U3D TIFF Resource that could lead to code execution (CVE-2011-2432).
- A heap overflow vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2011-2433).
- A heap overflow vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2011-2434).
- A buffer overflow vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2011-2435).
- A heap overflow vulnerability in the Adobe image parsing library that could lead to code execution (CVE-2011-2436).
- A heap overflow vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2011-2437).
- stack overflow vulnerabilities in the Adobe image parsing library that could lead to code execution (CVE-2011-2438).
- A memory leakage vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2011-2439).
- A use-after-free vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2011-2440).
- stack overflow vulnerabilities in the CoolType.dll library that could lead to code execution (CVE-2011-2441).
- Alogic error vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2011-2442).
Adobe Reader and Acrobat X (10.1) and earlier versions
Adobe Reader and Acrobat 9.4.5 and earlier versions
Adobe Reader and Acrobat prior to 8.3.1 versions.
- Successful exploitation allows attackers to execute arbitrary code and compromise the system.
The vendor has released updates to resolve this issue. Please refer to Adobe Security Advisory APSB11-24 to obtain additional information.
The following are links for downloading patches to fix these vulnerabilities:
APSB11-24 Mac OS X (Acrobat)
APSB11-24 Mac OS X (Adobe Reader)
APSB11-24 Windows (Acrobat)
APSB11-24 Windows (Adobe Reader)
These new vulnerability checks are included in Qualys vulnerability signature 1.28.217-3. Each Qualys account is automatically updated with the latest vulnerability signatures as they become available. To view the vulnerability signature version in your account, from the Qualys Help menu, select the About tab.
Selective Scan Instructions Using Qualys
To perform a selective vulnerability scan, configure a scan profile to use the following options:
- Ensure access to TCP ports 135 and 139 are available.
- Enable Windows Authentication (specify Authentication Records).
Enable the following Qualys IDs:
- If you would like the scan to return the Windows Hostname, also include QID 82044 and ensure access to UDP port 137 is available.
- If you would like to be notified if Qualys is unable to log on to a host (if Authentication fails), also include QID 105015.
In addition, prior to running a scan for these new vulnerabilities, you can estimate your exposure to these new threats by running the Risk Analysis Report, available from the Qualys Vulnerability Management Reports tab.
Access for Qualys Customers
For more information, customers may contact Qualys Technical Support.
The Qualys Cloud Platform and its integrated suite of security and compliance applications provides organizations of all sizes with a global view of their security and compliance solutions, while drastically reducing their total cost of ownership. Qualys solutions include: continuous monitoring, vulnerability management, policy compliance, PCI compliance, security assessment questionnaire, web application scanning, web application firewall, malware detection and SECURE Seal for security testing of web sites.