Microsoft ISA Server Vulnerability
Qualys® Vulnerability R&D Lab has released new vulnerability checks in the Qualys Cloud Platform to protect organizations against 1 vulnerability that were fixed in 1 bulletins announced today by Microsoft. Customers can immediately audit their networks for these and other new vulnerabilities by accessing their Qualys subscription. Visit our blog to see how to prioritize remediation.
Microsoft has released 1 security bulletins to fix newly discovered flaws in their software. Qualys has released the following checks for these new vulnerabilities:
Microsoft ISA Server 2000 Internet Content Spoofing Vulnerability (MS04-039)
- Medium 2
- Qualys ID
- Vendor Reference
- CVE Reference
- CVSS Scores
- Base 7.5 / Temporal 6.2
- Microsoft Proxy Server Version 2.0 and ISA Server 2000 cache the results of a reverse lookup and use these results for a forward (normal) lookup. This approach assumes that the hostname received during the reverse lookup is the valid hostname. The first time a reverse lookup is performed for a particular IP address, an attacker could provide a spoofed reverse lookup response for a domain name for which they do not have authority over. If a user then tries to access the resource by using the domain name that is supplied by the attacker, the request is routed to the incorrect IP address instead of being serviced by the valid content owner.
- An attacker could spoof trusted Internet content. Users could believe they are accessing trusted Internet content when in reality they are accessing a malicious Web site. However, an attacker would first have to persuade a user to visit the malicious site to attempt to exploit this vulnerability.
Following are links for downloading patches to fix the vulnerabilities:
Microsoft Proxy Server 2.0 Service Pack 1 :
Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration Server 2000 Service Pack 1 and Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration Server 2000 Service Pack 2 :
Refer to Micrsoft Security Bulletin MS04-039 for further details.
These new vulnerability checks are included in Qualys vulnerability signature 1.9.87-2. Each Qualys account is automatically updated with the latest vulnerability signatures as they become available. To view the vulnerability signature version in your account, from the Qualys Help menu, select the About tab.
Selective Scan Instructions Using Qualys
To perform a selective vulnerability scan, configure a scan profile to use the following options:
- Ensure access to TCP ports 135 and 139 are available.
- Enable Windows Authentication (specify Authentication Records).
Enable the following Qualys IDs:
- If you would like the scan to return the Windows Hostname, also include QID 82044 and ensure access to UDP port 137 is available.
- If you would like to be notified if Qualys is unable to log on to a host (if Authentication fails), also include QID 105015.
In addition, prior to running a scan for these new vulnerabilities, you can estimate your exposure to these new threats by running the Risk Analysis Report, available from the Qualys Vulnerability Management Reports tab.
Access for Qualys Customers
For more information, customers may contact Qualys Technical Support.
The Qualys Cloud Platform and its integrated suite of security and compliance applications provides organizations of all sizes with a global view of their security and compliance solutions, while drastically reducing their total cost of ownership. Qualys solutions include: continuous monitoring, vulnerability management, policy compliance, PCI compliance, security assessment questionnaire, web application scanning, web application firewall, malware detection and SECURE Seal for security testing of web sites.